Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ugh, disastrous breakfast

I've sent hubby on a play date with a friend of mine, thinking that he needs more male friends, and this would be good bonding.  I shouldn't say "play date", but they've gone to play video games for a solid three hours at Playdium so that takes care of "play" and it's Sunday, June 13, so that takes care of "date."  First person shooters make me dizzy, so it was best that they take the three-hour play cards and go crazy.

Thinking that I'd give him a good breakfast before he went off, I decided to fry up some bacon and butternut squash latkes, to be served with a dollop of sour cream.  (I know, bacon, how un-Jewish.)

Anyway ... breakfast culminated in disaster.

Hubby is actually quite polite when it comes to terrible food that I've made.  I think it's because he knows that if I get discouraged with it, I'll just keep making boring stuff, and then the culinary adventures will cease altogether.  So unfortunately, I used this recipe, and then bungled it, and then when I fixed it, I just found that the recipe itself was bunk.  

So it called for 4 cups butternut squash (peeled and grated), 3 eggs (whisked), and a small onion (peeled and grated), then grapeseed oil for frying.  You basically had to mix the first three ingredients together, make patties from the batter, and then fry them up.

Ugh, disgusting.

Granted, I put WAY too much butternut squash into this giant mix, so there wasn't enough egg mixture the first time around.  The patties just wouldn't stay together, but hubby was starving last night and wanted to start dinner, so I quickly made a butternut squash hash, which didn't get crispy, and was kind of just ... mush.  BLEGH.

So this morning, I thought that I'd be brilliant and add panko (Japanese bread crumbs), which would give the egg something to stick to.  I learnt this from my chef friend Miriam while working as a Writer/Researcher on Taste Buds (http://www.TasteBudsTV.com).

After adding what seemed like 2 cups of panko to this horrible mixture (of which the aftermath now sits uncomfortably in my stomach), it seemed to work.  The patties kept some sort of form, and so, in a rush, I decide to make the "patties" large-meatball-sized.  As you probably guessed, or may not have, the butternut squash didn't cook all the way through, and we were left eating some pretty crunchy centres.  GROSS.

And of course, like a good little Asian in not wasting food, I'm still fighting through the mix, having made smaller patties around the size of a Toonie (the $2 coin), I plan to fry them up maybe for tomorrow's breakfast, with better results.  

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

On another day, I'll tell you all about the difference in food perspectives in this house and how they can spiral into cultural crises.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment