Tuesday, June 22, 2010

This whole post centres around my adventures of commuting

Wow, I hadn't realized it's been almost a week since my last post.  Lots of things have actually been going on.  I just skimmed this whole post, and it's a lot of rambling diary-type stuff, so you know, you don't have to read this one.



Okay, well, thanks for reading.

Wednesday
Wednesday was my sister's birthday, so I took her out for lunch.  After that, my good friend Nat treated me to the AGO where we walked around and dreamed of having offices with a solarium-like design.

I found a new parking lot that I really like, despite it smelling like pee.  It's the type where you put in your credit card and only pay for the time that you're there, rather than worrying about what time you might possibly leave, and then overpaying.  If it's one of those lots where you have to predict the time you'll stay, I always overpay for parking, just because I worry about walking too far away and then not making it back in time to prevent a ticket.

So Wednesday night was the first time where I can say that traffic actually caused a good result.  I looked up my route home (Google maps app) and saw that it would take me three times as long to get there with traffic.  Booooooooooooo.  So I called my friend Sasha for a Foodie Call for dinner and luckily, she didn't have plans because I hate eating by myself.  I highly recommend the CN rolls at Sushi Time because I think avocado and salmon make the perfect sushi.  I really dislike cucumbers.  I've tried to get along with them, but we're still on the outs.

After dinner, I took Sasha home and got to my own home in record time.  Hooray - that was a very smart choice on my part, and plus, hubby finished the cabbage rolls so there was no more of having to suffer through that.

Friday
I decided to take the train in so I could make my morning meeting at 9:30 a.m.  Rather than sitting through traffic, I thought I'd be smart, and luckily, my best friend Cris had the day off, and we went for an Indian lunch buffet at Little India on Queen Street.  I'd say it was good, but I still much prefer dinner at Kama on King across from Roy Thompson Hall.  MuchMusic was setting up for the MuchMusic Video Awards and you could see the pandemonium of blocking off streets.

Saturday
Hubby and I had a wonderful SaturDATE, to which I'd been looking forward ALL WEEK.  He made brunch for us, I packed snacks, then we took the train in.  We realized that is the first time that we've ever taken the train together in four years.  So we can honestly say that we were glad not to have driven in, since there are multiple streets blocked off with cement blocks and tall fences because of the G20.  And that is why I'm playing hermit this week and getting lots of work done on www.TasteBudsTV.com Season 3.  Check it out here.  Traffic was TERRIBLE, all backed up, streets closed ... hubby said he honestly would have turned around and that would have been the end of the SaturDATE.

The first stop on SaturDATE was the Design Exchange, a centre dedicated to industrial and contemporary design.  With $10 admission each, it was about a dollar a minute to see what was perhaps the tiniest exhibits I've ever seen where you had to pay for admission.  ANYWAY ... we'll chalk it up to making a donation.  But hubby enjoyed it because he likes industrial design, and we'll go see the next exhibit I'm sure.

Next stop on SaturDATE was St. Lawrence Market.  Unfortunately, I had allotted about an hour and a half for the Design Exchange, so everything moved up.  We bought some lovely Camembert, a hunk of turkey kolbasa and a baguette which, in addition to pear, made wonderful sandwiches for our picnic at Harbourfront.  Full and happy, we walked along the lake to watch the boats and peruse the outdoor market.  Hubby now knows about the once hourly trains because we missed two and thus killed two hours by walking around and around.  But SaturDATE was great overall.  The rain started just as we got back to the car, and neither of us were hungry until about 9 p.m.  That happens when you have that much cheese.  I'm kind of surprised that I didn't have nightmares, but I think mostly happens to me when I eat cheese JUST before going to bed.  Weird.  Dairy-induced nightmares ... well, I am partially lactose-intolerant.

Sunday
Sunday was spent doing lots of driving.  I met up with some friends on the way to see my parents.  Short and sweet visit.   Also had a lovely time with my parents, sister and brother-in-law since my mom went all out and made ribs, lasagna, and Chinese noodle stir-fry for my sister.  My salad was a big hit with my sister and mom wanting the leftovers.  Spinach, blueberries, goat cheese, toasted almond slivers and blueberry balsamic vinegar.  I ended up leaving late, and unfortunately, the highway was closed down to ONLY the left lane for a big chunk of my drive home.  Boooooooooo.  Hubby and I both hate it when there are lane closures but nobody's working.  At least I saw people with hard hats and trucks.  If there hadn't been any, I would have been ultra pissed.

Monday
Land of the Hermit.  Yup.  Hearing the neighbours' air conditioner every 30 minutes, hearing Motorcycle Man idling.

No comments:

Post a Comment