Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Commuting - a walk in my shoes

While the last post was a little more rambly, here is COMMUTING from my point of view.  

I tried doing a flow chart just to illustrate what I think about when making the trek to Toronto, but I'm not good at those.  So here goes.

Getting to Toronto ...
  • What time do you have to be there?
  • What will traffic be like?
  • Which stop do you have to get off at?  
  • Will the train stop there at that time of day?
  • Will you be at a convenient enough location to walk to the next destination?
  • Will the train be convenient when coming home?
  • Circumstances that equal an automatic decision to drive:  uptown, late night return home, running late 
  • Where will you park?  
  • What route will you take?
  • What will hubby have for dinner if I'm not here to cook?
  • How many people/friends am I seeing that day?
  • Can I see more than two?
  • What kind of shoes do I wear that will be appropriate for walking a short/medium/long distance since I'll be walking quite far away from the car?
  • What am I taking with me?  Is it heavy that I need the car?
  • Should I stay over at my parents' place?
  • What am I doing the next day?
  • Should I schedule things back to back so I cut down on the commuting altogether?
Yeah.  Lame.

I used to just hop on the TTC and go.  It's not a big deal getting to Toronto, but this is just to show that it's comparably more arduous than when I actually lived there.  I used to hate when it took an hour, hour plus, to get anywhere significant, but now it kind of takes an equal amount of time when I'm the car.

On the plus side, I'm becoming a much better driver with so much practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment